According to a recent Garden Media Group report, homeowners desire low-maintenance, high-quality outdoor upgrades that create both a tranquil sanctuary and an entertainment-ready space. But you don’t have to break the bank to make your outdoor space perfect for you, says Joe Raboine of Belgard Design Studio.
“Even small updates to an outdoor living space can make a big difference, and this season’s trends are versatile and adaptable for every style,” says Raboine.
If you’re not sure where to start, Raboine suggests seeking inspiration from these summer trends:
• Bringing the Indoors Out: Outdoor space can be adapted as a comfortable and functional addition to the home’s indoor rooms by varying paving stones to mimic a faux rug or creating the illusion of separate rooms by using different pavers for different areas.
• Lighting It Up: Get-togethers don’t have to stop when the sun goes down; implementing lighting fixtures into hardscape designs can highlight gardens, pools, walkways and more.
• Cooking to Perfection: Warm weather means it’s time to grill. No longer just for food enthusiasts, a plethora of options are available when it comes to creating an outdoor kitchen for all degrees of foodie with wood-fired brick ovens, matching woodboxes, grill islands and more.
• Stepping It Up (or Down): If it seems like nothing can add dimension to a large, expansive patio, consider staggering levels with paved retaining walls and steps or a sunken seating area, pool or fire pit.
• Letting It Flow: Water features are a great design piece for many spaces, and using permeable hardscapes to build a water display or fountain play area combines function and fun.